Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fried Bee Hoon with Canned Pig Trotters
















I'm HOME ALONE today. Yay!! Time to cook up yummy stuff!

There's cabbage in the refrigerator... and I remember seeing a can of braised pig trotters in the cupboard... I know! I can make fried bee hoon (rice vermicelli) with the pig trotters! Yummy but sinful stuff! *chuckle chuckle*

I remember my mum requested for twelve cans of pig trotters from Mr Tofu (boyfriend at that time) for Guo Da Li. The canned pig trotters is right most container featured here. She said this was what Teochew mothers would request as part of the formal wedding gifts. Mr Tofu and his sister (the matchmaker) had a hard time carrying them to my house (very heavy lor) that day. LOL...



Fried Bee Hoon with Canned Pig Trotters

Ingredients (serves 4)

200g Bee hoon or rice vermicelli (soaked in cold water)
1 can Braised pig trotters (chilled)
Half a Cabbage (cut into thin strips)
3 cloves Shallots (chopped)
3 cloves Garlic (chopped)
1.5 cups Water
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Salt


Preparation
  • Soak bee hoon in cold water till it turns from translucent to opaque white.
  • Chill the entire can of braised pig trotters. Let the layer of oil in the sauce harden and turn white. Remove the hardened oil. Remove the bones of the pig trotters. Place the meat and the sauce in different bowls.
  • Mix pig trotter sauce, water, oyster sauce, soy sauce and salt in a bowl.

Method
  1. Fry shallots and garlic till light golden brown.
  2. Add de-boned braised pig trotters and fry with the shallots to draw out the fragrance from the pork.
  3. Add cabbage, bee hoon and water-oyster sauce mixture and turn down fire to let it simmer. Allow bee hoon to absorb the liquids (takes about 5 minutes).

Wondering why I'm home alone but cooked 4 portions?
1 portion for lunch today
1 portion for dinner today
1 portion for breakfast tomorrow
1 portion for lunch on Tuesday
~ hahaha... that's how much I love fried bee hoon... :D

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my god, I used to love this dish. I haven't had this for years...the oil from the canned pig trotters really gives the beehoon a nice oily fragrance..:) I remember a girl friend used to up the artery clogging factor of this dish by making a cream sauce using canned cream of mushroom soup to go with it... Gosh...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails